Monday, August 6, 2012

Eat - Yellow Watermelon




Have you ever seen a yellow watermelon before!?!! I haven't! I didn't even know they existed, but as soon as I saw one I just had to try it. I love watermelon, it is one of my favorite fruits to eat or drink especially in the summer. Trader Joe's is still having supplier issues for their watermelon juice and I'm bummed about it! My mom's number one craving when she was pregnant with me was watermelon. When I told the manager at Trader Joe's in Redondo Beach this fun fact, he promised that he would relay it to corporate and get to the bottom of the supplier issues as soon as possible. In the meantime, yellow watermelon will suffice.

Yellow watermelon reminds me of honey. It is sweeter than its red fleshed cousin and a good source of  beta carotene. Red watermelon is high in lycopene which is usually forgotten because is not categorized into the night shade family like tomatoes, the most famous of the lycopene fruits. Those of you who are picky about the texture of tomatoes or don't like carrots, go for the watermelon instead!


No comments:

Post a Comment